Friday, July 6

what began this descent

Our office has this air handling system in it which was designed to cool the entire floor. Only problem is,, that was when the floor was one big open space. They threw up some walls and suddenly we ahve a super powered unit for a not so super-sized room.

I tend to be a rather warm person. So when I was in cube a, i was always hot. But more than that, the person in the cube across from me aggravated the hell out of me. I had been asking to move because I was uncomfortable and the request was always denied. I went upstairs one day after he had made a particularly racist comment and asked that i be moved and was.

in moving there were several choices of cubes. I was dissuaded from taking the one cube because it would put me in the "quiet" zone and I was not known for being quiet. So i took the cube that left me a buffer on either side; the downside of that was it was directly across from the door and directly across from the air vent.

I don't understand our HVAC system, but suffice to say that without ever touching the thermostat the air that come from the vent varies widely in temperature and force. The heat and ac are both always on and it chooses which it needs to put on based on a thermostat at the very end of the room.

not to mention that it seems to blow this dust into the office which got a little better when they "cleaned" the unit but is once again beginning to spit on us.

everyone in my office was annoyed by the force of the air and the fact the the cube walls basically acted as a tunnel to blast the air at everyone. we managed to get in and turn the little louvres to direct the air upward. the force of air still made it uncomfy so i bought magnetic plastic vent cover and positioned them so that it blocked some of the air. When the unit is going full force, you could see the covers fog up from the cold.

so in comes doofy assed new guy. they put him in the cube right behind me. he is always hot. so he begins changing the carefully constructed vent setup. the problem is he never asks if it is ok with anyone else in the office. it never even dawns on him that it might be making us uncomfy.

so begins this battle of him changing it and us changing it back. and finally one day he says, but "i am hot." I pointed out to him that it was very uncomfy for the rest of us and suggested he bring a small fan in for his cube. but the battle continues.

A coworker from another dept. was visiting and noticed the vent covers and asked about them. goofy guy makes a comment (which i could hear thru the rated 32 decibel ear plugs) that they were a source of contention/conflict in the office. So i get up, rather angrily) and snatch them down. The visitor asks if she said something wrong and i told he no, if they were such a big source of fucking conflict then i would just take my shit the fuck home.

so i requested that i be moved again. Apparently it costs them several hundred dollars to have a phone line moved. i offered to leave it as and use my cordless. and so they wouldn't have to even have the ethernet jack "activated" i'd just run a cord (which I would buy) around the outer edge of the office to the cube so there would be no safety issues.

The response was, if i let you move how will this cube be different from the first since their positioning to the vent is similar?

No comments: