Of course now I find out that she is suicidal so I spent a large amount of time counseling on FMLA and the mental health system.
The problem is this... if I accidentally refer to her by her male name or by male pronoun she gives this curt correction. It wouldn't be so bad except since she is not out to everyone, I have to constantly be aware to switch back or simply be gender neutral. It is annoying.
Today she walks into an office where I am discussing a private matter with a another female coworker who does not know he is transitioning to a she. I made the comment "it's girl talk" and she got her feelings hurt. Really?
I am sorry she is tortured and feels trapped. Really I am. I know the feeling but not about something so deep. I am trying to give her the same respect and courtesy and empathy I would want except I am in my angry phase right now.
I feel a wee bit guilty about being so "uncaring" but really I don't need anything else to feel guilty or on edge about at work. I feel like her issues might push me to the breaking point. So not going there, not for anyone. I really can't absorb other people right now. It is just too much. I've opened up too many emotions of my own that I should have left dormant.
No comments:
Post a Comment